Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty

I admit it, I'm a fan of my birth date twin (different years). I always have been, even though I haven't always wanted to admit it for whatever reason. I'm also a fan of learning about different cultures in present day or throughout history. Combine all that for my love of everything makeup, health, fitness, etc, and The Price of Beauty is right up my alley. It's way cheaper than the book set I kind of want but will never buy ($220!), 100,000 Years of Beauty by Elizabeth Azoulay. Even though the show is only looking at standards of beauty today, it's enough to scratch the itch.

For those who don't know, it comes on VH1 at 10:00 on Monday nights. If you missed last week's, that's okay, because that was the first time it aired. You haven't missed much yet. In the last episode, she went to Thailand. Next week, she's going to France.

So far, I think it's rich in content. You get to learn about other cultures, reflect on just how different they can be from ours (the paler the better in Thailand, while we're over here baking in the sun or tanning beds, or slathering on sunless tanners), and you get to laugh. Did you expect anything less than a handful of funny quotes from Jessica, CaCee, and Ken in every episode? Especially Jessica! She's not playing the ditsy blonde she was on Newlyweds, but one of the things I've always admired about her is that she's not embarrassed to admit when she doesn't know something (nor is she embarrassed to throw in a slightly crude comment when the moment arises!). She's not afraid to show that she's just another curious human, faux pas and all.  It's refreshing and she makes it easy to laugh with her as she wades her way through ignorance.

There were some times where I cringed, thinking, "She's representing us and she's being rude!" but I'm sure she didn't intend to offend anyone, at least. I'll probably watch every episode. Humor...culture...what's not to love?

7 comments:

Christin said...

You can watch full episodes online as well. :) I'm definitely going to check it out!

Eclectic Musings said...

Nice! That eases my mind a little. I'm afraid I'll forget about it. I'm not used to having anything to watch at 10:00.

Christin said...

They rode in a tuk-tuk!!!

Eclectic Musings said...

I know, and I'm the only one in the house who got to enjoy that scene! LOL

Christin said...

LOL
Mom and I talked about going to one of the villages like they did -with the women that stretch their necks, but we didn't. It's kind of a catch-22: tourists are how they make some of their $$ (by selling goods to them when they visit) but mom had also heard that they were starting to get tired of being a tourist attraction. :\ So I had mixed feelings, and in the end we decided not to go.

Eclectic Musings said...

I could see why they'd get tired of it. I wouldn't want to be gawked at for something that I just considered part of normal life.

I missed a lot of that part. I was helping get R to bed.

Jessica said...

That sounds really neat! That kind of stuff has always been interesting to me - how all over the world we see beauty in different ways. I'll have to check it out!