Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hiking on Ice

A few weeks ago, we took a trip to the mountains. After driving for hours, partially up the dirt roads on the mountain, we came upon an "Oh, crap" moment. There was snow. We weren't even to our destination. Since we'd invested so much time anyway, we kept going forward. There was also the fact that there was nowhere to turn around without falling off the side of the mountain. When we got to the trail, there was another family leaving. They said it was a good hike, but kind of icy, so they suggested picking up some large sticks to use as trekking poles before we got too far in. Boy, am I glad we did that! At one point, on the way down, I slipped. I kept slipping, twirling, bending over at the waist, then standing upright again, overcorrecting a little so that it looked like I'd fall over backwards. The whole time, I had two thoughts alternating in my head:

"Oh no! It's going to hurt when I finally fall!" and "This must be really funny to watch." I was informed later that it was, in fact, hilarious to watch. I never actually fell.

The stick kept me upright, but I was spinning around it, sliding down the mountain trail, for a few yards. Oh, and I forgot to mention the creek we had to cross. I was in sneakers. Not waterproof.

Here are some pictures from our trip:

2 comments:

Christin said...

On my way up to see J the ice was like that on the side of the mountains (on the side of the highway). It was pretty neat looking - I tried to take pictures, but they didn't turn out good. You know moving car and all that... ;)

Eclectic Musings said...

Yeah, you really have to stand right on it to get good pics. :p