Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sigma Makeup Brushes (SS188)

Sigma Makeup brushes--at least the 188--are like digging into a big dish of creme brulee, starting to feel a little guilty, and then lo and behold, you find out it's got half the calories of a normal batch of creme brulee (but all the flavor!). I've only got the 188, so I can only speak for that particular brush, but I've heard great things about the others.

I normally love MAC brushes, but I never buy them because they cost so darn much and I'd rather buy eyeshadow. I'm always on the lookout for good alternatives. I really needed a 188 style brush to apply my cream blushes. Fingers deposit too much color sometimes and it's hard to blend out. Enter the Sigma SS188 Small Duo Fibre Brush. It looks just like the MAC one, but it's about half the price.

I received it quickly, washed it, and got very little shedding. That's the first great sign. I hate looking like the carnival's Burly, Hairy Woman display when I'm done putting on my foundation/bronzer/blush, and I hate the fingernail marks I get sometimes once I'm finally done prying all the brush hairs off my face. I got none of that with this brush when I applied my cream blushes. The hairs stayed where they belong--on the brush. It blended my new Cremeblend Blush from the MAC in Lillyland collection like a dream.

I don't have MAC's 188 but I do have the larger 187 for foundation application (Sigma has an SS187 too) and the quality feels the same to me. The brush density is comparable. I don't think I'll ever buy a MAC brush again. I can't wait for the day when I need to replace my shadow brushes. I'm using Loew-Cornell's 239 lookalike from Michael's and it works okay for now, but I can't wait to need a replacement. I imagine the bristles of actual shadow brushes are a little bit softer.

No comments: