Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Am Not a Cook

Friends, enemies, neutral readers...I am not a cook. That statement won't shock anyone, really. For the first undetermined period of time early in my marriage, my nights to cook consisted of lemon-pepper chicken or Hamburger Helper. I'll give you one guess as to who's the chef in my family (in my defense, I love to bake). With my husband's busy season in full swing now, however, I'm trying to expand my horizons. So far, I have learned two things:

1. I love Crock Pots
2. It's probably completely possible to give yourself an aneurysm using a garlic press

My mom recommended a cookbook called Fix It and Forget It--Lightly, so I bought it. I'm all about eating healthy even though I'd almost rather skip a meal than make one (don't really have that option with a family though!), so I thought this would be a good solution. So far, the recipes look bland--and they kind of are--but they're tasty enough and easy to do with a toddler on hand. I can't always promise to be able to make dinner at a certain time, especially not when I really have no clue what I'm doing. With this, I can do my prep work before things get crazy, then "fix it and forget it."

I'm still afraid I'll kill myself and anyone brave enough to partake in one of my home-cooked meals if I try to cook a chicken breast in a pan on the stove rather than safe and sound in the oven for an hour or more. But I can do more than lemon-pepper chicken or chicken-in-random-sauce this way. And if I get distracted, it doesn't matter. It's almost as good as inviting my mom to just move in and cook for us. ;)

We shall see how this Hungarian Goulash turns out and how long it takes to get this garlic stink out of my hands. They stink so much of garlic, I'm afraid I'm going to be shifted to an alternate reality soon where I am a vampire slayer. I could probably murder a whole colony of them before the stench gave out.

2 comments:

Kim said...

LOL - my mom made tuna noodle casserole so much when my parents first married that in later years, my dad refused to eat tuna!

Do you have a stainless steel sink? If so, try rubbing your hands on it - it should help get rid of the garlic odor!

Mommy Beauty said...

Yeah...he still won't really eat lemon-pepper chicken anymore. LOL The Hungarian Goulash from the book I mentioned turned out alright. He usually just cooks because that's something he enjoys and it helps him wind down. I like to clean, so it usually works out.

I did not know that about the sink. I'll have to try it. They still stink today! And I have a bruised palm from crushing so much garlic. Cooking may not be fun, but it can be kind of funny.