Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fingerpaint

Today was Ramona's first foray into fingerpaint. You'd think I would have bought some already with the way she likes to dump everything remotely like a gel or liquid onto her tray and smear her fingers through it. Sometimes she even takes the excess and flings it onto the wall. I just get too caught up in the, "Ugh, now there's something else to clean up!" to think, "Hey, I have an idea! I want to go buy something else to clean up!" Yeah, I know, I'm a terrible mother because I just can't embrace the messes or happily smear collard juice through my own hair. At least she eats collards.

Anyway, we went to Target tonight and all the way there and back she chanted "I wanna PAINK! I wanna PAINK. I WANNA PAAAAAINK." To add to the excitement, she associates paint with Santa Claus because when we went to Michael's today to get some yellow acrylic paint for me, she saw Santa. Did you know he drives a Honda when the reindeer are feeling lazy? Nice car. White like his beard. It reminds me of that joke where you hold up a piece of plain white paper and say, "Look, a polar bear playing in the snow." More like, "Look, it's Santa driving his Honda the last stretch of his way home!" We decided he must've been picking up some paint for the toys he's making and checking in on all the kids in the southeastern region of the country while he's at it.

When we got home, we put out the tarp, pulled out a big sheet of paper and let the budding artist get to work. On the way home she said she was going to paint a green cow with blue milk. The finished product looks like a pasture to me! I think she's a fan of this new medium, and she surprisingly didn't really make much of a mess. It was entertaining because she'd tell me which color she wanted and where to squirt some of it on the page, then she'd stick her hands in and work on her masterpiece. There are some handprints on the tarp but none on the carpet or walls like I feared. I can't wait to take her easel outside in the spring and let her paint there.

Tomorrow will be fun. We're going to paint some more, drink hot cocoa, and watch Cinderella. I love the beginning of the month when I feel like I have a little bit more free time (deadlines!). Sometimes I run out of fun projects for a 2-year-old. If anyone out there has any ideas, let me know!

No comments: