Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Embrace the tiny moments of joy...


A few days ago, I was driving to Starbucks along the winding road that takes me past the school, the drugstore, etc...nothing exciting. But as I lifted my gaze slightly, I noticed that the leaves' color was still shifting to an intense yellow. It was beautiful against the gloomy gray, drizzly sky. At that moment, I felt so in awe...so overwhelmed with joy. I had my brilliant, funny little girl in the back, I had good Christmas tunes coming out of the speakers at me, and I won't lie...I was pretty happy about the small red cup full of minty-chocolate goodness that was about to make its way into my hands. Cruising along that damp black road through mundane buildings, past other cars, there was an intense wash of joy that made its way over me. Cherish the little things (and the resulting random moments of bliss) and remember that sometimes the only way beauty can announce itself and be admired is by standing against a dim background, like the chartreuse leaves against the slate sky. How else would we know to appreciate it? Just lift your eyes upward a bit, calm yourself, and you will find it.

This year, I'm thankful for the ability to stop and look for the beauty and the hidden joys in the most unusual places. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: