Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Drugstore Makeup Finds

Yep, it's me. I'm alive! My goal is to start posting regularly next month. Life got pretty busy for a while there, in good ways and in bad ones. I'm trying to lay off the shopping for a while, but I couldn't resist a few drugstore finds. They're cheap, right? That's what I keep telling myself, "Oh, it's just $5.00..." MAC still has my heart, but it's easier to justify three things at Walgreens for the price of one thing at the mall. Here are some of the goodies I've picked up and love:

Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara:
I'm usually disappointed by Rimmel mascaras despite the snazzy packaging that sucks me in almost every time. The brush on this one is curvy and it's plastic like Maybelline Define-A-Lash, Cover Girl Lash Blast, etc. It's almost like three balls in a line. I got it in Extreme Black, which really IS black, black, black--not gray. So far, it's thickened and lengthened my lashes. It says it curls, too, but I never really notice that with any mascara. My lashes aren't particularly straight to start with. Anyway, one big problem I have when it comes to mascaras is their tendency to kind of disappear. I don't know if it just wears off at the tips or what, but what starts as a va-va-voom lash day can fall to a measly attempt to maybe look like my lashes are tinted. This formula, though, stayed on all day. Yay!

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse: I got this one in Pink Frosting this time. I had a darker one once before that I absolutely despised because of the blotchy appearance it gave my skin. I ended up trying to give it away. This is a light, youthful pink and it's great on my fair skin. I'm on the fence about sparkles. Sometimes I see them and think they're obnoxious and sometimes I don't. As in, sometimes I just don't see sparkles on my cheeks at all so I'm not sure if there are glitter mermaids swimming around in there, coming up to the surface on random days to check out another life in the sun. (Can you tell I just introduced my daughter to The Little Mermaid?) If you like warmer tones, there's a peach one that looks really similar to this one. It was gorgeous too, but I didn't want to go all crazy and get two before I made sure I liked this one. I may go back for it. I'd like to wait for some sort of Maybelline BOGO sale though, because they tend to pop up frequently and I paid full price (still less than $8.00) for this one already. The consistency of this blush is like whipped cream and you just barely have to tap your fingertips into the pop to pick up enough color. Then you tap it onto the apples of your cheeks and blend around and back toward the temples. It's not scary because it's not the type of blush that will dry in one spot before you get the chance to smooth it out. The color is a bright, neutral medium pink that makes you look like you have a juicy little secret.

Cover Girl Lipstains: Beware of the colors! They're brighter than you might expect based on the packaging. I got Tempting Blush and it's a pretty red-berry color. The packaging is one of the lighter ones. Application will take you back to elementary school when you might've colored your lips with markers. That's essentially what this is--a fruity magic marker for your mouth. What makes that great is the precision you get. I once had a lip stain from Sonia Kashuk's line that not only tickled like crazy when I tried to apply it to my lips, but the brush was flimsy and I couldn't get it to go only where I wanted it. With this Cover Girl brush, you could line your lips and then fill them in with color--definition AND long-lasting color. Nice. Oh, and some of the reviews said they don't last that long, but I've had mine on since about 6:00. It's lasted through a meal, snacks, smooches, and a few glasses of water. It faded just a bit, but it looks better, more natural, this way.

No comments: