Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Is It Too Early...?

Being intelligent is a beautiful thing in itself (and it lasts a lot longer than the usual hair/makeup stuff I talk about on here!), so I'm trying to do as much as I can for my daughter's brain development. One of the ideas I had was to get some fairly large, blank white index cards and put a simple word (cat, hat, etc) in English on there, followed by the Spanish word, plus a pic. Do you think it's too early? I know they'll hold her attention as long as I make the drawings colorful (she loves the other artwork I did for her room! LOL), but is it too much, too fast? She's 7 months old. I'd read the stuff on the cards to her, of course, and eventually get her to repeat them. LOL I'm hoping she'd start recognizing certain words if I did this, which might make it easier to teach her to read later. My goal is for her to read before starting school.

We're working on sign language, but I only know a few signs. Her grandparents are all over that stuff, but they don't see her often enough to teach her on their own. She laughs at me and tries to copy the sign for "I Love You" but it's kind of hard for little fingers so she doesn't have it down yet. hehe

Here's some sign language inspiration for you guys out there with babies:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isin't that just incredible! Dylan can sign I love you and a few more. Eryn can sign the alphabet and it takes forever for her to spell stuff out....she is mastering spelling and signing all at the same time. Neither Jaison nor I have a full vocabulary of sign language, but we know a few things. The cool thing about signing is you can conversate in front of others about things, and they have no idea whats going on. It helps too when your at the convience store and trying to tell him you need milk......lol. (we did that once.) I feel better knowing if i ever went mute or deaf.....I would have some other ability to relay messages. Of course like i said.....it takes forever because I use the alphabet....because i remember it more so than the combos. I cant wait to see your little one signing to you! And to anwser your question.....its never too early. LOL Tasha