Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Makeup Inspired by Taylor Swift's "Teardrops on My Guitar"


I've been meaning to do more makeup looks on here, but I'm having technical difficulties that leave me too red in the face to be photogenic, inspiring, or even nice to be around (ask the hubby), or to even post anything if I do get the video camera/digital camera to work. Well, I'm still trying to figure out how to convert .MOD files to something, anything, that will work with iMovie/YouTube and all that.

My brilliant accountant/chef/tech guy/psychologist, aka "The Hubby," figured out how to make the macro setting on our overly complicated digital camera to work. And like a smart little monkey, I remembered how to make it do what I wanted it to today. So here's a look inspired by Taylor Swift on her "Teardrops on My Guitar" video.



I would ideally have a tutorial up, but for the time being, I will spell it all out this way:

If I'd planned to do this look earlier, I would have put MAC's Strobe Cream on underneath my foundation (Everyday Minerals Original Glo Fair) and concealer (Maybelline's Age Rewind) for an extra glow.
For the cheeks, I used an amaaaazing product, MAC's Mineralized Skin Finish in Petticoat, which is my favorite blush but unfortunately discontinued. Right now, you can buy something similar from MAC's N collection. It's called Light Flush. I just lightly stroked that along my cheekbones up toward my temples. You can use any old blush brush. I actually used a paintbrush because I'm really cheap about brushes. It's way more fun to buy colorful makeup than something practical like a brush, especially when they're $40 and up at department stores. C'mon, I can get 3, maybe 4 makeup items for that! And I would have empties to trade in for something free at MAC later.

For the eyes:
  • I put down a base first. Base is especially important here because you'll be using a pigment, which is a loose, highly pigmented (hence the name) shadow. I used MAC Painterly, but you can use your concealer, Urban Decay's Primer Potion, or a cream shadow as long as you know it won't crease.
  • On top of that, I applied MAC Pigment in Silver Fog all over the lid and a little into/above the crease with a fluffy brush (again, a paintbrush, so you can just use what you have).
  • From the crease to the brow, I applied MAC Pigment in Pink Opal, a white color with pink/lavender iridescence. I kind of wrapped that around the outer edge of the Silver Fog, too, to blend it out. Again, I used the fluffy brush.
  • In the crease, I used a long, tapered paintbrush to apply MAC Charred shadow, a smoky gray with a hint of silver glitter. I blended it up a little above the crease using a windshield wiper motion.
  • In the outer corner, put a black shadow. I used the black one from the Metallics set, but MAC Black Tied or Milani Storm will do the trick. It was just more convenient than pulling out the big palette. I used a small shader brush to apply it.
  • Along the lower lash line, use that same shader brush (wipe it off first) to apply a gradient of Pink Opal, Silver Fog, and the black shadow from the inner lash line to the outer.
  • Apply black liner on your bottom waterline. Put a thin or thick (your choice, but I did a thin one today) line along the upper lash line to make your lashes look lush. I used Stila's Convertible Liner in black.
  • Top it off with black mascara of your choice. I used Stila's Major Lash. If it's a special occasion or your baby should be napping for a while and you just want to play around, glue on some false lashes. I didn't have the time or the lashes. :)
  • For lips, I used MAC Bombshell, a peachy-pink with gold shimmer and topped off with MAC Pinkarat Lustreglass.
(Nice little up-the-nose shot there, sorry!)

This is a great look for day or night. Try the thinner liner and no falsies for day, then boost your lash line with more liner and lashes for night. Take your hair down, curl, and you're ready for a night out. It'll look great over a candlelit dinner on Valentine's Day. I won't see you there; we're going out for hot wings and trivia. Hey, we get seated more quickly than we would at Olive Garden, and Valentine's Day gets to be special for the hubby, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love make up....but I cant use it often, because I tend to get blemishes especially around my chin and jaw line. Do you know of a foundation that covers well, but is oil free? I have used covergirl that is oil free but it dosent seem to work either. Love the Blog! Tasha

Mommy Beauty said...

Hey Tasha!

Thank you for your comment.

I have really, really sensitive skin and I've tried everything from Cover Girl to MAC, but I've gotten the best results from mineral makeup. I like Everyday Minerals' (http://www.everydayminerals.com) stuff because it doesn't contain the common irritants found in other mineral lines (I can't wear Bare Minerals, for example, because it gives me cyst-like bumps). They have a generous sample pack where you get 3 shades in the finish of your choice, a blush, and a concealer (I think that's right, though it may have changed since the last time I ordered). All you pay for is shipping, which is around $4.00. You'll need a kabuki brush to apply, but I found one of those at Walgreens that works great (around $5). It's a densely packed, short-handled brush with dome-shaped bristles.

If you feel more comfortable using a liquid foundation, you can mix the mineral makeup with your regular moisturizer and apply with a foundation brush or your hands.

My favorite drugstore line for foundation is Almay. I've used their liquid foundations without breakouts.