Friday, February 8, 2008

Benefit Cosmetics Reviews

There aren't many people who will argue with the fact that exercising is good for you. I sure won't. However, when my daughter's the one doing the exercising in the middle of the night, it's not good for me. She likes to flip over onto her belly (yay, go girl!), but then she gets 1. Stuck there and mad about it, and 2. Her arms and legs caught between the rails of the crib because we had to take the bumper out so she wouldn't suffocate, and so that if she did get stuck on her belly in the middle of the night, I could hear her screaming bloody murder, muffle-free.

I took my first trip to a Benefit counter today on a mission to buy Eye Bright: and the lady who helped me was incredibly nice. I told her about this site and how I love anything that makes me look like I slept when I didn't. There aren't many counters I've been to that offered to put the product I already wished to buy on me, plus more (though it is obviously a great sales tactic! LOL).

I want to go back for Ooh la lift sometime because I think it does work very well with the Eye Bright pencil I bought. I also picked up California Kissin' and the new Thrrrob blush because, after all, I'm a sucker for things that brighten me up when I feel like I'm dragging. So here are my reviews for what I did get:

Eye Bright: I left the counter feeling like I'd had a face lift. It was applied under my brow bone, in the inner corners of my eyes, and in three lines on the outer corners of my eyes (about half an inch each, one pointing diagonally upward, one horizontal, and one diagonally downward, kind of like crow's feet, but pale, pale pink). She blended in by patting lightly with her ring finger. The hint of color still showed, but you couldn't see the lines. The pencil goes on so smoothly, you barely have to touch it to your skin to apply.

Thrrrob Blush: I didn't know about this one before I got there. I've heard the bronzers raved about before, but never this one. Just in time for Valentine's Day, the day of aphrodisiacs and lovin', this is Benefit Cosmetic's "turned on" blush. It's a cool-toned lavender-tinged pink that looks very natural on my skin tone (applied along my cheekbones) but would probably look good on any light-medium skin. They don't advertise it as such, but I think I noticed a bit of shimmer. Look like you've been naughty before you've even been wined and dined. Bonus: the brush that comes with it has piiiink bristles so that's exciting. Man, I'm such a girl.

California Kissin': I was skeptical when the lady at the counter wanted to put this on me. I thought, "Eh, it's just a sheer lip gloss that smells like mint. Blah. Oh well, I'll humor her." Little did I know that it was going to be one of the most impressive products I checked out. It's minty, yes, and it makes your lips feel like you just brushed your teeth. It's supposed to make your teeth look whiter, too, which I think it did thanks to the blue iridescence it added to my lipstick. You can wear it under or over lipstick. Since the color isn't so obtrusive, you can layer it with just about any color for a boost.


Before today, the only Benefit product I'd tried was Get Bent mascara, which I liked, but didn't fall in love with. I got that one at Sephora about a year ago. I am now a hardcore Benefit Cosmetics fan. Didn't take long, did it?

7 comments:

Carla in Seattle said...

Have you tried any of their foundations? I'm still on the hunt for a perfect foundation!

Mommy Beauty said...

Carla,

Not yet! I have to make some space in my foundation drawer first. LOL I have so many, I will never use them up. I decided not to let her put any on me because then I'd want to buy that too.

No matter what I try, I keep coming back to Everyday Minerals Original Glo. I do love my tinted moisturizers though, like Clinique Supermoisture (which strangely started turning orange on my skin...I suspect my new moisturizer), and Stila's Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer.

What do you want your foundation to do? How much coverage do you like? Do you prefer matte looks or dewy ones?

Carla in Seattle said...

I like don't really care if it's matte or dewy, although a healthy glow is pretty. Right now I'm using the Maybelline double pump thingy (does that make sense - I forget the name) and the lightest shade is a smidge too dark. I also love MAC liquid Studio Fix, but the N 15 is TOO dark. Sucks being so pale - it's not even so much an issue of the colors being too dark, but they just don't match my skin tone. Sooooo... I need heavier coverage because I don't have pretty skin and I like it to last through the day. Tall order?

Mommy Beauty said...

Have you tried Estee Lauder's Double Wear? I mix it with MAC's Strobe Cream for a little bit of glow, and to keep it from drying my skin out too much.

I know what you mean about NC/NW15 in Studio Fix. I have to have a sunless tan to pull it off.

Carla in Seattle said...

I have tried the EL double wear... but I can't remember what I didn't like about it. I didn't return it, so I must not have hated it that much. :)

Anonymous said...

Did anyone hear Benefit is going out of business? They are letting go many of their top execs which is usually a sign of bad things to come.

Mommy Beauty said...

I haven't heard that they're going out of business, but you never know! It'd be a shame because they do have some really cute products. I just wish they could lower their prices a little for what they are.