Monday, January 28, 2008

Stila Cosmetics and ULTA Unite!


The Best of Stila set is available at Ulta.com

I'd never purchased any Stila cosmetics up until last week. I saw that Ulta had started carrying Stila products. As soon as I walked in the door, I was greeted by a hot pink paper canister full of Stila stuff--a $120.50 value for $40. I'd been planning to buy most of the products at one time or another anyway, so I decided what the heck, I'll just get this now and review all the products.

What it has in it:
Stila Illuminating Moisturizer, SPF 15 (Light)
Stila Convertible Eye Color (a liner) in Onyx
Stila Major Lash Mascara in Black
Stila Lip Glaze in Brown Sugar
Stila Eye Shadow in Kitten
Stila Convertible Color Dual Lip and Cheek Cream in Peony

All of the products are the full sizes.

I enjoy buying a face in a box, personally, and I love multi-purpose products, which this has a couple of. Here's my take on everything:

Stila Illuminating Moisturizer: I really like the way this feels, the color, the luminous look it gives my skin, and did I already mention the color? I'm incredibly pale and in most cases, if a line carries a foundation of any kind light enough for me, it tends to oxidize to a nasty shade of Oompa Loompa. I've been waiting for an opportunity to pull out the teal Manic Panic and be able to pull it off without looking like I belong in Technicolorville. Since this tinted moisturizer stays true to color, I'm one step closer.

Sadly, this kit only contains the Light shade, but it's so sheer, it may match the fairest of the fair all the way down into the medium skin tones. If you can, try it out in the store before you purchase the kit to make sure.

The jury is still out on whether or not this stuff irritates my skin, but don't let that deter you. I have some of the most sensitive, eczema-prone skin on the planet. I once went to work after an especially bad, mysterious flare-up and people would stop in their tracks and say, "What's WRONG?!?!?!" because they thought I'd been bawling.

Stila Convertible Eye Color: I am in loooove. Even though I'm fair-skinned with blue eyes, I can appreciate a dark, dark, darrrrk black liner--especially one that goes on dark with one swipe and looks somewhere between smudgy and sharp. This liner stays on my waterline, it kind of tends to smoke itself out just perfectly as I apply (even though there's a sponge tip on the other end to smudge it out further if desired). I can't get over how dark it is or how well it stays on. It's better at staying on my waterline than my MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack which, up until now, had been my holy grail of eyeliners.

Stila Major Lash Mascara: You know, this is the thing I was least interested in in the whole package. That's because recently, I've discovered quite a few mascaras to pledge my devotion to and I'm getting spread a little thin. But, always ready to try the next mascara if I can get my hands on it (so much for being faithful to cosmetics), I put this on in the car as soon as I got it. Oh wait, I put the whole she-bang on in the ULTA parking lot as soon as I got it, foundation and all. At least I was parked at the back where no one else was, right? Nobody saw me, I tell myself.

My lashes look lush, but natural. They're long, dark, thick, and separated, but they look nothing like falsies. That's something I've found to be the case with all of these Stila cosmetics--they all are so easy to apply and they are the perfect blend of sass and natural. You can tell I have on makeup and my features are emphasized, but it's not hopping off of my face to club you in the head saying, "I am makeup! I am makeup! Don't you appreciate my art? My blending? My ability to color my lips inside the lines?"

Stila Lip Glaze: This one came in Brown Sugar and it's the only one available with the kits. I was a little sad about that since I wanted to try a lighter shade. This one looked a little dark and brown for my taste in the tube. I am on the fence about this, still, even though the color was a surprisingly natural rosy glow on my lips. The lip glaze formula is very sheer, very shiny, with just a hint of color. The only issues I had with this product were the application (it seems I either click up too little or too much) and the longevity (it seemed like I had to put it on every hour, and I'm not used to that). It smells good, looks good, and feels nice on the lips though, so I'd probably buy more of these.

Stila Eye Shadow: The one in the container was Kitten, which I have been wanting to try after hearing so much about how fantastic it is for so long. It's a shimmery champagne color. Shimmery--not glittery--which is good for me and my contact lenses. It really brightens up my eyes when I wear it on the lids. I consider this a multi-use product because it would make a beautiful cheek highlight on fair skin. I can use this as a brow highlight, a lid color, or just dab a little in the inner corner of my eyes to brighten them up when I wear darker shadows. I love it. It's such a no-brainer, swipe-on-in-a-hurry color. I've paired it with a few different crease colors and everything looks great with it. It's so soft, it blends effortlessly with anything, too. I prefer to apply it with my fingertip for the biggest pop of shimmer.

Stila Convertible Color Dual Lip and Cheek Stain: Included in the kit is Peony, a rosy brown tone that would honestly flatter just about anybody. I'm not a cream blush guru by any means so I had to ask for tips on how to apply it. I used a MAC 187 brush to put it lightly onto the apples of my cheeks and brush backwards to the temples. It worked way better than applying with my fingertips. On the lips, it feels a little dry but looks very natural.

Overall Impression
This was a great way for me to get introduced to Stila Cosmetics. I liked all of the products included but I really love the eye products. If the Lip Glaze lasted longer, these would be my #1 pick for gloss. My least favorite things were the face products, but I still really, really enjoy using them too.

No comments: